Saturday, May 7, 2011

Kronotsky jet-fuel sniffers.


What does this bear want from the helicopter?


The animal is waiting for the people to take off for several drops of fuel that will be left on the landing area. The bear will spend a long time sniffing into the smell and will even roll on his back on the ground there. After a while he will dig a hole in the ground, lay down in it with his belly up to the sky, and will stay for a while in this "nirvana" position.

Just like this one, who is already done with his sniffing.


Last helicopter has brought to my station not only the intern, Alexey, but also several barrels of fuel to be used in a power generator. Before we had a chance to secure the barrels near the house, the local female-bear, who I call Suzemka, became interested in them. Apparently, she is facinated by the smell of fuel!



In this last picture, my new intern, Alexey, has caught the moment of photographing the bear. (c) Alexey Matveev.

Original story and photos are posted by Igor Shpilenok in Russian here.

2 comments:


  1. The path of the righteous bear is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak bears through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his fluffy brother's keeper and the finder of lost cubs. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my bears. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my furry vengeance upon thee.

    ReplyDelete