Monday, April 4, 2011

Good morning from Kronotsky Nature Reserve!


Do you remember I told you that I almost fell through the snow into a bear den? At that time, after my eyes met his, I went of running away very enthusiastically...

Today I could not resist going back there to take a look at least from the distance to see if the bear came out. This bear's den is not far from my house, only 3 miles away from my house. As it turns out, the bear came out, but did not go far away. It is their habit to stay around the den for several days after coming out from the hibernation, to get used to the daylight again after staying for half a year in a dark place. This bear now is sitting nearby, breaking branches from dead trees and laying on the snow. He has not been back to the den for over 24 hours, because the fresh snow at the entrance is free from his footsteps. The width of his front foot is only around 5 inches, so this is a relatively small animal. It seems like he knows that he lives in a nature reserve, because when I appeared he did not even attempt to run away.

In several days, after he walks away, I plan to take a flashlight and go inside the den. And I will definitely tell you what is there.


Original post is by Igor Shpilenok (both text & images) in Russian here.

No comments:

Post a Comment